Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Ocean to Bay 5 Miler 2016 Race Report



Getting the W - what a way to start off vacation!

Splits:
5:16
5:38
5:42
5:39
5:25

Final Time: 27:47

The first half of the race had a strong headwind coming off of the bay, and though it was an early enough start time, the sun felt strong.  I previewed the course just a bit, and purposefully took it out hard during the early downhill and before the headwinds got progressively stronger.  I had another gentleman with me virtually the entire way though.  A mile in, I thought he was going to hang tight in the 5:1X range, but as he tried to pass, I kept him on my shoulder, and we both naturally fell into a 5:3X pace.

The turnaround point had a short, but tough uphill and I did my best to open up my stride immediately upon descending.  I didn't create much room, and it was still a two man race.  The third and fourth mile felt tough and tougher, and as I started the fifth mile I thought for sure I was going to be caught.  Each time I dug a little deeper I could feel my insides tying in knots.  But there is no remedy quite like the, "just take ten hard strides"...and repeating that every ten steps.

When I had a quarter mile to go, I dipped into the well and accelerated slightly.  I took a peak back - the distance was close-able.  Already on the pain train, I took one more look as I entered the final straight and accelerated once more to close the door.  I didn't go into full kick mode, but the second place finisher made me earn this W.

No comments:

Post a Comment