Monday, June 24, 2013

Tory Row 5k Race Report (2013)

This was a shit race, but here's a brief recap anyways...

Based on my Fresh Pond PR last weekend (14:33 for 2.47 miles), I was expecting to cruise to a PR. That was not going to be the case. Without listing all of my many excuses, I think I needed more time to recover from the tough speedwork session on Wednesday and Ultimate+mileage on Thursday...simply not enough time to recover. If this were a goal race, I would be more bummed, but it's primarily a fun summer 5k to gauge my fitness.

Even if I had been in top form - this isn't an especially fast course and it was pretty warm at the start (80's maybe?). Runners head out onto Brattle before turning into the into Longfellow Park horseshoe, then back onto Brattle before another turn uphill onto Appleton. There is a short downhill before turning onto Huron, but it's not quite long enough to make up time.

"Is that, oh my god that is, that is a baby eating dog poop!"
Living in the area - I consider both Huron and Lexington to be a deceptive patch of pavement. You are never quite level, and while it is mostly imperceptible...it isn't to the clock! The turn back toward Harvard Square finally provides an opportunity to find a rhythm, but on this day - not for me.

Garmin Splits:
Mile 1 - 5:59
Mile 2 - 6:10
Mile 3 - 6:01
Mile .14 - 0:43
Final time: 18:53 good/bad for 18th overall
http://www.coolrunning.com/results/13/ma/Jun23_ToryRo_set1.shtml

I still wonder if they could do away with the horseshoe on the way back or do something to avoid heading into that pot-hole riddled road while staying USATF certified. It's a cool feature to be able to see lead runners on the way out, but using all of Brattle as a straightaway before turning onto Church for the finish would improve the course greatly IMO.

Overall this is likely to be a race that stays on my calendar in future years. They have had consistently good t-shirts, a bag that I actually use, and a great beer tent afterwards. Well done Tory Row 5k.

1 comment:

  1. Whats with the random quote under the photo? But sounds like a nice race i should try out.

    ReplyDelete