Thursday, March 29, 2012

Week #13 - The Taper Begins

My long run from last week was pushed to Sunday of this week so I could run along the marathon course with the Cambridge Sports Union. CSU has hosted the 'Soup Run' annually since the early/mid 1970s. Runners are carpooled to the marathon start in Hopkinton and for any desired distance with CSU support crew along the way.

After the run, everyone gathered at the host house for some soup and whatever else everyone decided to bring.  I ended up running to right around Centre St, then doubled back to get to enjoy the feast.

Quick summary of the run...

I took the first 8 miles of the course at an 8-minute pace, as I was planning on a progression run.  My legs weren't feeling too great, and my right foot was making some noise, but it wasn't too bad.  Just as I was approaching the 8-mile mark, one of the better runners in the club (to me they're all "one of the better runners"), Tom, was catching up from a water stop. That worked out very well for me as we were able to run together for roughly 10 miles. And after the first 8, I ended up running the remaining 15+ miles at a 7:28 pace for a total of 23.42m.

And with that begins the taper! 


Scheduled
Mileage Actual
Day Date (min) (max) Description Pace Distance Notes
Sunday 25-Mar     22.0     22.0 Or cross training/soccer *(CSU Soup Run) 0:07:41 23.42  Driven to Hopkinton by the team, ran 20 along the course, then doubled back to go enjoy some soup.  First 8 at an 8 minute pace, then remaining 15+ at a 7:30 pace.  Run went almost exactly to plan. 
Monday 26-Mar         -            -   Rest 0  Rest. 
Tuesday 27-Mar       3.0        8.0 Speedwork (Last week at BU track) 8.62  Altering schedule to accommodate new speedwork sessions at Harvard outdoor track…2m jog to track, 1600/2000/1600, 2m jog home. 
Wednesday 28-Mar         -          5.0 Rest 0  Foot still a bit swollen and shins are tight; rest. 
Thursday 29-Mar     10.0     12.0 Medium Long Run 0:07:15 10.07  I felt ok ont his run, my shins were a little tender, but I wanted to hold a solid pace - and I actually felt pretty good afterward. 
Friday 30-Mar       4.0        6.0 w/6 100m strides 0  Legs/feet a bit beat up.  Rest. 
Saturday 31-Mar       6.2        6.2 10k Race tune up 0:07:47 4.04  Went out to get my long run out of the way today, but my shins were absolutely killing me.  Stopped at 4m, and walked about a mile and a half home. 
Tuesday Splits: 6:05, 7:57, 6:15.

Saturday's run sucked.  My shins haven't hurt this much at any point during the training, and this is only the second time I've had to cut a run short (the other time due to Achilles Tendinitis).  Luckily my 4/1 run was a success, but that failed effort really had me in a bad mood the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment