Monday, March 19, 2012

Ras na hEireann 5k Race Report

The day after St. Patrick's Day is probably not the best day to shoot for a PR, but the weather could not have been better and I didn't have a hangover/headache...So I ended up moving up towards the front to give it a shot.

I felt almost certain that I would be able to set a new PR, but I was planning on letting the first mile dictate what time I would actually shoot for.  I figured I would run based on feel for the first mile, see what my pace was, then take it from there.  Mile 1 was 6:09, so I knew I wasn't going to average sub-6...which would've been nice.

Splits: 6:09, 6:09, 6:01, 0:41

I felt fairly comfortable throughout the race with the exception of the last .14 (I took wide corners throughout the course, resulting in the extra .04).  It was also kind of a "rolling hills" type course, and while I wouldn't say I was comfortable on the uphills, I did pass a lot of folks there.


While I may have passed a lot of folks on the hills, I looked like a giant doofus in the process.

Whatever, good weather, good race, and free beer afterward!

The finish was probably the most interesting part of the race for me.  After turning onto Highland Ave, we still had close to a half mile left to race, but the finish was deceptively in sight.  I picked up the pace right away, and could hear some weirdo grunting with every step...that was a little bit of motivation to pick it up just so I could get away from that.  Then with about 50 yards to go I was just behind and about to pass another runner who was up for the sprint to the finish.  I got about even with 30 yards to go, and there was a section of the finish that was all cobblestone and this dude essentially cuts me off so I either had to run on the cobblestone or fade back...that bugged me just a little bit so I turned on the jets and ended up beating the guy by a few yards.

Official time: 0:19:00

http://coolrunning.com/results/12/ma/Mar18_Rasnah_set1.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment