Friday, October 14, 2016

Warner Fall Foliage Five Miler - 2016 Race Report

With Uncle Arthur on the mend  (and I'm glad to say, making a stubbornly excellent recovery), Elizabeth and I decided that - even though Family Farm Day was on hiatus, we'd still make the trip to Warner for a quick visit and for Elizabeth to defend last years title at the 5-miler.

When the gun went off, I was at the front with one other runner.  We quickly separated ourselves, and were feeling each other out as to what pace the other would settle into.  Knowing how I have run in previous years, I expected the first two miles to be fast.  Instead, I simply couldn't get good leg turnover.  My lungs were fine, but I felt weak on the push off and any increase in turnover took far too much effort.

By the time I reached the bottom of the downhill on the main road, I was gapped by about 10 to 15 seconds.  The guy in front of me had been warming up with a high schooler before the race, and I mistakenly thought the high school kid would be giving me a run for my money.  Instead the coach had the easy stride of someone who had circled the track on more than a few occasions.  Still, I knew the course, and felt I had a chance to close the gap.

The third mile is the dreaded Bean Hill Rd.  I kept my head down and tried to keep the gap where it was.  In years past, it has always been a big challenge for me to get the pace back down after cresting the hill.  I hoped that would be a challenge for the guy ahead of me, and so I forced myself into what felt like a sprint for 10s at a time.  It ended up working and I was able to fall back into rhythm.

I continued to close push, but it was looking like a tough challenge.  After the long downhill towards the finish, I could tell I wasn't closing the gap fast enough.  I got a little false hope nearing the finish though.  He slowed just a bit on the uphill and I went hard for another 10s to see where that would take me, but he was too close to the top of the hill.  I took the foot off the gas, and coasted in.  I probably closed the distance to about 5-8 seconds, but ended up giving it back by not kicking it in.

Splits:
5:33
5:45
6:42
5:39
5:12

The guy ahead of me, Sandu Rebnciuc, is no slouch.  So, I'm not too bummed about losing to someone with that kind of pedigree.  We did a cool down together along with the gentlemen from Utah who came in 3rd and 4th - all in all a good race.

Elizabeth, by the way, easily defended her title, coming in as the first woman and 10th overall in a time of 36:43.

Garmin Recap
Results

No comments:

Post a Comment