Monday, October 24, 2016

Paddy's Shillelagh Shuffle - 2016 Race Report

In the 2nd week of September, I was very optimistic about how I would run at Paddy's.  And to be honest, I remained optimistic during the week leading up to the race as well.  I still think that my optimism was warranted, but on race day, it didn't quite pan out.

I entered the race in 2nd place in the Pub Series standings, only two points behind TJ.  I knew my only hope would be if he had a rough day, and I was firing on all cylinders - so my plan was to go out pretty hard and see what happened.  My spot in the standings was relatively secure, and with all of the mileage recently I felt that even if I went out too hard that I'd be able to survive off of strength.
Photo Courtesy of Scott Mason

I started the race by, surprisingly, shooting out to the lead.  This isn't exactly what was planned, but I wasn't concerned that I was out too hard.  I held a quick pace for 10-15 seconds, then settled in and found myself next to TJ and the eventual winner.  As TJ settled in next to me, I did my best to stay on his hip.  I did not want to lead, and I didn't want to draft, so we ran side by side for roughly 3/4 of the first mile.  As the three of us approached the mile marker, I slowed backed off slightly and they opened up a 2s gap.  My time in the lead pack was short lived.

Photo Courtesy of Scott Mason
For most of the second mile, I was in no man's land working against a decent head wind.  At one point, someone strode up beside me and stuck with me, and passed me for a few brief moments.  Shortly after passing a cop directing traffic (who happened to ask us if there would be more runners behind us...the answer was yes) I passed him back.

As soon as the runner had arrived, he was gone out the back.  Only a few seconds later I heard footsteps and assumed he was drafting, but instead it was Danforth and another runner.  I had no chance of catching the leaders at this point, and I really should've slowed and tucked in with Danforth and the other guy rather than serving as a wind barrier.  Instead I tried to maintain my position and they hung back for a few minutes before passing me and breaking away.

Knowing that a large handful of runners would need to pass me in order to have an impact on the Pub Series standings likely got into my head as I entered the third mile.  I was surging here and there, and keeping the gap was manageable.  As we turned onto the straight before the home straight, I heard someone say, "man, he just looks fast!"...that was a nice ego boost!

I surged hard here and was closing the gap, but it put my stomach into knots.  I backed off a little hoping that they still might come back, but I'm well aware of Danforth's kick and if I put in the effort necessary to close that distance, I would've taken the sting out of my own kick.  Pickleman wasn't far behind me, and he was working hard to close the gap on me.  So as we turned towards the home straight, I slowed, looked back, and readied myself in case Pickleman made a furious push to the line.

In the end I was able to hold a pace and keep my place in 5th overall for the race.  I would say that it was a very mediocre race.  Based on what I was trying to do though, it was going to be all or nothing anyways.  And I was able to maintain my 2nd place position in the men's standings.  Elizabeth had a great race, finishing with a net time of 19:39 and 7th in the Pub Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment