Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Wellfleet 5 Miler 2016 Race Report

The idea of racing this wasn't so bad, but the execution of the idea was MEH!  After staying up until 2am and having a very enjoyable and silly night dancing and drinking wine, I woke up at 6am and was in no shape to race.  But it was a Sunday, and my chances of getting in a good long run were poor, so I figured I'd go run the race and hopefully sweat out some of the wine.

After arriving, I jogged over to the registration tent at 7:50, ten minutes before the 8am deadline listed on the race website, and I was surprisingly met with hostility.  I've run a lot of races, and never been turned away at the registration table.  Here I was, ten minutes early, and I was being told, "sorry, but you should've registered online.  No more numbers, that's it.  You should've arrived earlier."  I couldn't help but say, "it's 7:50, isn't that earlier than the 8am deadline you have listed on the website?"  The angry woman responded incredulously, "You call that EARLY!?"  I waited just a few minutes, contemplating my options, when someone showed up with more numbers that they "had to pay $1 for!!!"...oh my, now the charity only receives $29 of my $30 registration fee.  THE HORROR!  Anyways, I paid the stupid registration to the nasty volunteer with a nasty attitude, and continued my now truncated warm-up thanks to that nonsense.

My equilibrium was totally off kilter and I felt awful.  I didn't have a massive headache though, so I figured I'd just do what I could.  The race itself was very hilly, and I did a good portion of the leading heading into the turnaround at the halfway point.  Unfortunately, I made a point to slow down and get some water since I was horribly dehydrated and my mouth was one giant ball of cotton.  The eventual winner was clearly feeling good and he put in a huge surge to open up a big gap.  He also employed the 'turn a corner and accelerate hard' strategy.  Something I frequently like to use on courses with enough turns - nothing like knowing your competitor will see you opened up 10+ meters thanks to a short burst of speed that he/she couldn't see.  Unfortunately, I was on the receiving end of said strategy.

In the end, I finished second...so...whatever.  It was a bad race, but a good tempo and I was none the worse for wear the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment