Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Napper Tandy's Flyer Race Report

A little bit late for this write up, but whatever.

This was my best race in quite some time.  The weather was hot and humid, and Elizabeth and I arrived with plenty of time to get a good parking spot and do a reasonable warm up - something I was concerned with for a Thursday night race.

The start was a bit funny, as we weren't sure whether the starter had given directions to go, or was actually telling us to go.  Turns out we were supposed to go!

I felt like I was working out some kinks in my stride during that first mile, but my lungs felt fine and I was moving quick.

The standard crew of guys that usually lead the race were well ahead, and I was in the group just behind them.  About halfway through the second mile, Chris Lotsbom, the runner who soundly beat me at every Pub Series race last year, came up on my right shoulder.  This was his first Pub Series race this year though, so I didn't expect him to pull away immediately.  He started to create a little gap, and I made the decision to stick to his shoulder.  The halfway mark went around a rotary, and I got a look at the runners behind and ahead.  At that point I was in 7th place, and just off of Lotsbom's shoulder.

There was a small downhill to start mile three and I closed the ~5 meter gap ahead of me, and decided to make a move and pass him.  One of his teammates passed at just the right time (coming in the opposite direction) and said something along the lines of, "let's go Chris, you got him."  Harmless and encouraging, but it sparked a bit of competitiveness and I made my move a strong one.  As we were entering the long uphill portion of mile three, I kept the effort level high.

I ended up putting some space between us, and I was comfortable in my position.  As I was nearing the top of the hill, I could see that Lee Danforth had a bad side stitch or something like that and I made a conscious effort to open up my stride at the top of the hill instead of easing back into a pace. I closed the gap between the two of us, and started to feel excellent (Note: I am normally well behind Danforth.).

The final mile was flat-ish and I was moving very well and closing the large gap between myself and Jason Cakouros.  It was probably 75+ meters at the start of that mile, but this was the best I have felt in a race in a long time.  My legs had bounce, and my stride opened and I could feel myself really stretching out.  The course has a few turns towards the end, and at that point I knew I had to start my kick.  So I ended up closing the final 15-25 meters during that portion, catching up and passing him just as we turned to the final straightaway.  Thankfully, I still have a solid kick and it worked on this day.

Garmin Splits:
5:40.54
5:37.86
5:58.44
5:28.96
5.36 seconds

Good for 4th place overall.  One of my best races and best showings in quite some time.

Results
Pub Series Standings

No comments:

Post a Comment