Wednesday, May 6, 2015

4/26/15 to 5/2/15: 2015 Spring Classic 5k Race Report + MP Training + End of a Streak

I wasn't planning to run the Spring Classic 5k in Cambridge one week after running Boston, but it's rare that Elizabeth has a specific race in mind - and if anything, I'll always be accommodating to another race.

I ran a longer warm up (5m) and both calves were really tight.  I was a bit worried about this, but during time between the wheelchair start and the regular start I continued doing strides and they loosened up enough.  Though I still wanted to take it out conservatively.

After watching some 20+ runners hammer it for the first quarter mile, I started to move up the field.  I felt pretty comfortable throughout, and kept trying to get a runner to tag along with me so we could pick off the stragglers...unfortunately everyone was a straggler after hammer the first quarter of a 5k.

Long story short, I got within shouting distance of a couple guys, but my legs were still tight and I didn't want to hammer it home.  I still finished in a time of 16:53, which was a PR and a pleasant surprise.

The stuff!

26-Apr Spring Classic 5k 14.7 5m warm up, then the Spring Classic 5k in 16:53 for 8th place and a new PR.  Very surprised, as I thought I would still be too close to Boston to have any speed, and I felt like I was taking it easy the first mile.
27-Apr Easy/Easy 10.06 AM: 4m commute in whatever.
PM: 6m commute in whatever, really tired.
28-Apr Easy/MP Workout 18.8 AM: 4m commute in whatever.
PM: 4m progression followed by 5x2m at MP w/400m jog. 14.75 total averaging 6:19 for the 2m segments and 6:36 overall.
29-Apr Easy/Easy 10.11 AM: 4m at 7:50.
PM: 6+ at 7:30.
30-Apr Easy/MP Tempo 16.74 AM: 4m at 7:40.
PM: 4m progression into 6m at MP w/2m cool down.  GPS was funky, so total distance here is a bit short. Unsure of pace, but roughly 6:20.
1-May Injury - Rest 0 Damn Damn Damn
2-May Injury - Rest 0.33 Effin Crap.  Right Achilles is BUNK!

That's a 125 consecutive running streak ended on May 1...

Total Miles: 70.74


No comments:

Post a Comment