Friday, April 18, 2014

Doyle's Emerald Necklace 5-Miler Race Report

Coming into the race at the tail end of a bad chest cold was a mixed blessing for this race. Already beginning to start my taper, I was forced to rest completely for 3 days the week prior, and I think my legs were pretty thankful. Although I still had a bit of noise in my chest, I felt fine. So...yeah, mixed blessing...

Elizabeth dropped me off at the race with the bare essentials, and I grabbed my number and started to jog around hoping to find Kevin so I could stash my stuff in his car and ask to bum a ride home. I bumped into Phil, who was racing for the first time since Mt.Hood, as I was wondering around. I did a few miles with him before we bumped into Kevin who, thankfully, didn't mind driving me home after the race. So we continued our warm up out and along the the first mile+ of the course.

When we made it back to the starting line, we ended up waiting for what seemed like a good 15 minutes for this legendary race to start. Not a big deal, but the weather forecast that called for abundant sunshine was instead cold and drizzly. I worried a bit about my cold.

Doyle's is the first race in the Pub Series, and there looked to be some pretty good competition at the starting line. My plan was to try and hang on to Kevin and Terry, and mix it up with them as best as I could.

The gun went off and we were out at a pretty good clip. The first mile is a bit rolling, finishing with a slight uphill. It felt very comfortable to me, and similar to the An Ras Mor 5k, Kevin was only a few meters ahead after the first mile.

Mile 2 is pretty flat, and Kevin began to slowly pull away from Terry and I right around here. When we reached the turnaround at mile 3 there was about a 30 meter gap between us (maybe more, maybe less), and then another large gap between Terry and I and the group behind us.

Terry and I battled back and forth for the remainder of the race. Mile 3 is flat and we both seemed to focus a bit more and pick up the pace, one runner testing the other with neither of us showing any signs of giving in.  We again tightened the screws during mile 4. Again, neither of us giving in. Twice during that time I picked up the pace trying to create a gap, but Terry was having none of it. And I was running scared, thinking, 'if I slow back down, he'll just hold that pace and blow right by me.' And so each increase in pace was maintained.

The final mile starts with two short steep hills then a ~half mile decline towards the finish. Downhills are usually right in my wheelhouse, but everything was hurting. I opened up a little bit, but I didn't have the confidence that I could bomb down the hill and 1.) maintain it, and 2.) keep my legs strong enough so that I didn't eat it.

We crossed under the bridge and made our way to the final straightaway, and Terry was gunning hard just off of my right shoulder. The finish line looked deceptively close, but I was worried to try and start my kick too early only to lock up and watch Terry glide by me. So I put in mini-surges, and kept glancing over my shoulder with the intent to go to the toes at a moments notice.

I was fortunate enough to pass the finish line just ahead of Terry this time, which is a big deal in my book. He's a machine.

And in the end, this is a huge PR.

Splits:
5:43.01
5:49.73
5:39.80
5:34.94
5:25.35

Final Time: 28:12. Hoping and expecting big things on Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Nice nail bitter of a story, congrats on beating Terry. I'd expect nothing less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry just told me to tell you, "Bugbee that is the last race i'll give you, from now on any races in the future get ready for the PAAAAAAIN!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete