Tuesday, April 15, 2014

4/6 to 4/12: OK, I'll Taper

Well this week sucked. I wasn't planning on tapering THIS much, but a freaking chest cold hit me at the worst possible time.

Sunday started with my 6th and final 20+miler. The route began by heading to the Weston hills, circling back along Comm Ave, heading around BC/Reservoir, and then again back onto Comm Ave. So it was a pretty hilly route, but it went well. The final four miles were at around a 7min pace, and still felt very comfortable. I had the usual aches and pains that go along with a long run like this, but overall this was a good way to conclude the final long run.

On Tuesday, without much thought, I added in another 'long run.' I followed my typical routine of running home from work, then over to the Harvard track for a speed session, then home from the track - and this added up to a 16 miler. The CSU speed workout consisted of an 800 and 1200x4. This would have been a challenging workout regardless of how I was feeling, but this was ~day 2 of my chest cold. I felt fine, but had a little bit of 'noise' behind some seemingly harmless coughs. I ended up lagging behind Terry and Kevin on a few of the reps, and when I got home I felt unusually wiped out. I helped with a few things around the kitchen project and ended up breaking into one of those uncomfortable sweating fits where you think, "I should be sweating from THAT..."

After that, I worked from home for a few days to try and stay away from coworkers and just drink as much tea as I could. Thankfully, I got back to about 90% pretty quickly and finished the week with a relaxed 1-lapper around Fresh Pond to test the waters before the Doyle's 5-Miler.

The STUFF!

6-Apr Long Run 0:07:24 20.97 Sixth and final 20 miler. Felt a bit tired, but the 16er was just a few days ago. Finished healthy, that's whats most important at this stage.
7-Apr Recovery 0 16 days in a row without a day off…now is a good time to rest. Also, I'm starting to get sick.
8-Apr Intervals 0:07:48 16.06 800/1200x4 - this felt really hard. And I'm definitely starting to get sick.
9-Apr MLR Recovery 0:08:00 4 AM: Ran to work. Chest cold isn't major, but bad timing.
PM: Worked on the kitchen. Pretty hard work - equivalent to a tough gym session.
10-Apr Moderate 0 Sick
11-Apr Recovery 0 Sick
12-Apr Fresh Pond x 1 5 Fresh Pond 1-lapper in 15 minutes. Just wanted to see how I felt in case I should opt out of running a harder & longer effort tomorrow. Felt alright. I'll run.

Tuesday Splits:
800-2:44.38
1200-4:07.09
1200-4:15.08
1200-4:19.43
1200-4:15.57

Total: 46.03

No comments:

Post a Comment