Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Summer Training Plan

Mentally the marathon feels like it was ages ago.  Physically, I can still feel some aches and pains in my quads and hips, but I'm itching to get back into it.

I've already gotten in a few runs/workouts, but I'm not exactly sure how I want the summer to go as far as a running schedule.  I won't adhere to a schedule to the same degree I did these past few months, but I'd like to have a plan in place. And since I don't have anything specific to train for, with the exception of a few short races and sprint triathlons, I'm going to try and continue some sort of scaled down marathon schedule.

I've been going back through each week of training to try and get an idea as to how I could improve/refine what I've already done and I noticed a few things I'd like to avoid - During training I was sick a few times, had Achilles tendinitis, shin splints, and other small issues that probably got in the way of some potentially higher quality workouts. My best guess is that I wasn't smart enough with my recovery days. With that in mind, I'm going to try and create a schedule that is essentially a 3-week cycle: 2 weeks of solid/hard training, 1 week of easier running that will hopefully allow me to recover and absorb the previous 2 weeks. I'd also like to incorporate more of the following:

- hills
- a few minutes of barefoot strides per week
- strength training (ie, gym at least once a week)
- biking / swimming
- lower back strengthening
- lower leg strengthening

It will be summer though, so I'll need to be flexible since I'll be grilling constantly, and enjoying ultimate with the Killer Bees. And I'm really hoping to make a number of the CSU Fresh Pond races on Thursday nights, and the speedwork on Tuesday nights....we'll see how it all goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment