Thursday, March 20, 2014

New Bedford Half Marathon Race Report

My half marathon PR was pretty soft going into this race, and I've been feeling pretty fit - so I knew ahead of time that I was assured of lowering my PR.  After the Jones 10 miler, I was hoping to be able to break 1:20, but I knew that would be difficult.

Race morning started off well. I woke up early and had my normal oatmeal, coffee, and water. And there was no traffic. Though, I ended up taking a detour throughout New Bedford because the google directions sucked, but I had given myself plenty of time - so no worries there. After finding a prime parking spot I was able to get in a meeting with Albert at the secret conference room, and then off to get in a ~2 mile warm up.

My only regret prior to the race was not doing a full set of drills and strides. I probably had enough time, but once I made my way to the starting line the front was already packed. This will be something I need to figure out for April 21st.  My legs always feel sharper after a good warm up, but if I'm forced to stand around/walk for 15 minutes after the warmup that kind of defeats the purpose.

Once the gun went off, I realized I was way too far back in the crowd.  Per usual, there was a shitload of runners who were running 12 minute miles who apparently couldn't see they were in the 6/7 minute section...This was actually really frustrating for the first few miles, because I would've loved to try running with Terry, and trying to compete with him - but I was never able to even see him during the race.

The first mile felt really slow, and my legs felt like lead. I was running briefly with Dima, and I ended up seeing Tom briefly - but he was closer to the curb as I was on the outside. The second, third and fourth miles were even slower, and I was a little bit worried that this would be a real shit race.  The two moderate hills and head winds accounted for some of the slowing, but I really felt out of rhythm.  And the niggling pain I've had in my left calf/achilles the past few days was causing a little bit of worry.

Miles 5 through 8 I was able to quicken the pace, but it felt really forced. At no point did I feel like, "ok, here we go, feeling good, let's hold this and maybe pick it up." Instead I was taking constant inventory of whether or not the pace would result in a crash.

Miles 9-11 were a pretty decent slowdown thanks to what I considered a pretty brutal headwind. I always feel like I'm a freaking sail when it's windy, I don't know what it is, but I certainly struggle. The one good thing I noticed as the race moved into the later stages is that I wasn't being passed, and I was beginning to pick off some runners that were hurting a bit.

The last ~2.1 miles was really tough. The course finishes with a generally uphill-tone. It's about a 275 foot elevation gain over those miles, and aerobically taxing at a challenging time. And if anyone that was racing with me at this point during the race - I apologize. I was huffing and puffing, and I was not being quiet about it. My legs were still so freaking stiff, and my body was just hurting in general.

But as I was dipping my toes into the well of pain, I felt the need to hurt. "Embrace it!," said the inner beast. As I pulled up alongside a runner looking steady at this late stage, he commented about the cruel location of one of the final hills we were about to crest. "Fuck that hill," I responded....it sounds abrupt now, but that's just the way I felt!

Turning towards the finish line, I still had enough to kick out a ~32 second 200 to the finish and pass a few runners...it doesn't mean a whole lot, but kicking to the finish gives me great satisfaction.

Officially 1:21:04. A new PR by 8 minutes and 25 seconds. And I consider it a solid time run in tough conditions. It's not a soft PR, but on a slightly warmer day with the legs not feeling so heavy, I think I can lower it fairly significantly.

Splits:
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary1:21:07.413.146:10
16:11.41.006:11
26:18.31.006:18
36:18.11.006:18
46:23.11.006:23
56:00.81.006:01
66:01.01.006:01
75:57.91.005:58
85:59.81.006:00
96:13.91.006:14
106:25.21.006:25
116:26.01.006:26
126:11.31.006:11
136:03.71.006:04
14:36.90.144:18

No comments:

Post a Comment