Thursday, January 19, 2012

Week #3

There's still a lot of time between now and the marathon, but so far I feel like I'm seeing some solid progress, and I'm really enjoying the training.  The Hyannis Half Marathon is in just over a month and that should give me a better idea as to where I stand.

I've only run two half marathons, but I'm confident that I'll be able to improve upon my current PR from the Run to Remember in 2010 (1:41:30), especially since the first 13.1 of my training run on Saturday was in 1:39:34.  Hopefully the improvements continue.


Week 3:

Sunday15-Jan        -          3.0 Or cross training/soccer0 Cross train - 5m on the bike, 10 minute row, and soccer. 
Monday16-Jan      7.0        9.0 w/10 100m strides0:06:558.43 It's starting to get cold out there.  8m at about a 7 minute pace and 10 strides the length of Poplar Rd which is roughly 75m rather than 100m. 
Tuesday17-Jan      9.0     13.0 Medium Long Run0 Felt a little worn down and under the weather.  Decided to back off for the day. 
Wednesday18-Jan        -          5.0 Recovery0:07:219.05 A little cold coming on, but I felt really good during the run, and was able to make up for yesterday. 
Thursday19-Jan      3.0        7.0 Speedwork0:06:564 Going away party for someone at work, and speedwork was cancelled so I just ran a quick four around the Charles in Watertown. 
Friday20-Jan        -          5.0 Recovery0:08:013.04 I ended up sanding the floors in the kitchen for over 10 hours today - my back could definitely feel it, but I got outside for an easy 3. 
Saturday21-Jan    16.0     19.0 Long Run0:09:1616 No traction in the snow.  A very good training loop though - out on Beacon, then back on Comm Ave including Heartbreak Hill.  I'll have to do this again when there isn't a snow storm. 


Saturday's run in the snow was tough.  Very tough.  For every step that I took up any sort of incline, it felt like I was sliding backwards half a step.  I am happy that I was able to maintain decent form and not plod along, and I also found a good pre-long run meal (pasta w/very little sauce, 1 piece of chicken, 1 piece of bread, 1 glass of wine).  I didn't have anything in the morning beforehand though, and I think I'll need to figure that routine out as well, because my energy level dropped significantly around mile 12.  And very thankfully, I went out with a few freinds, otherwise I'm sure it would've gone by a lot slower.

All in all, I'm happy with the way this week went.

No comments:

Post a Comment