Friday, January 6, 2012

It begins!

I'm not quite sure how to start this thing out...but basically, I think it'll be fun to make a running log of the training I put in for the marathon.

I'll be running the Boston Marathon this April, and it will be my first marathon.  So since I have a lot of nervous energy, this will be a way to track progress, and maybe in the future I'll look back at this to see all the things I did right/wrong.
I've been averaging about 30m/week for the past 10 weeks, but the real training starts this week...

Week #1:

         Scheduled
           Mileage
DayDate(min)(max)DescriptionPaceDistanceNotes


Sunday1-Jan              3.0               3.0 0:07:118.15I felt ok in the morning, and better and better as the day went on.  Decided to go for 4-6, but felt strong, so I kept it going since I had no soccer. 
Monday2-Jan              8.0               8.0 0:07:004.06Ok in the morning again, not 100%, but wanted to get another strong day in.  Had a few spots where I ran at a good clip for a few hundred yards.  Solid run. 
Tuesday3-Jan                -                   -   0:07:307.04Achy in the morning, and still have some congestion that indicates I'm still sick.  But I felt better once I got on the road, and was able to hold a solid pace.
Wednesday4-Jan              2.0               2.0 0:07:171.11Calves felt tight today, and my big toe (right foot) feels sprained.  Cross train day.  10-miles on the bike, 10-minute row. 
Thursday5-Jan              3.0               8.0 Speedwork6.491000/600/1000/600/1000/600/400/400 with warm up and cool downs 
Friday6-Jan                -                 4.0 Recovery0:08:323.1Just an easy jog with Raleigh the dog. 
Saturday7-Jan           12.0            15.0 Long Run0:07:5814I struggled a bit through this run.  I had a headache before hitting the road, and felt extremely parched around mile 11.  I should probably not have pizza and beer the night before a scheduled long run. 


Thursday night's workout went alright.  I had a case of bronchitis for the past two weeks, and this was my first speed session since.  Times were 3:35, 2:06, 3:47, 2:08, 3:52, 2:11, 1:23, and 1:19.  I've never really done speed workouts, but I signed up for this program at the BU track through the Cambridge Sports Union and I'm really enjoying it so far...unfortunately, I don't have a good idea of where to settle in pace-wise, but I would prefer to run even paces throughout.  I'm sure that will improve with experience and time.

I'm also going to have to do a better job preparing the night before a long run.  That 14 should have been a lot more manageable.  Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment