Monday, October 1, 2018

2018 Bernie's Run 3m Race Report

The course takes you out and into an industrial park parking lot before doubling back, and I was out well off the gun, though, not with the leaders who hammered a 4:48 first mile.  I ran alongside my old rival A.Holmes and we ran an evenly paced first mile in ~5:12.  This race was actually the start of our friendly rivalry a few years ago, and as Holmes made a move up the short hill just past the one mile marker it had a familiar feel to it.  I thought he may pull away at that point, but I accelerated just enough and his gap remained steady.

After the hill leveled out, we both passed a younger runner(s) and the battle for 5th place was on.  With Klucznic a good 20 seconds ahead of us, and no one behind it turned out to be just like old times.

We turned and weaved through the neighborhood's pot-holed streets, and while Holmes kept his foot on the pedal I was able to keep the gap small.  As we made the left turn off of the dirt road, I came up close on his heels before making a fairly hard move.  We passed the two mile mark, which was well short of the actual two miles, and I kept my ear out for footsteps.  I had created a gap, but Holmes was still right there.

After making another turn, I saw that I had a ~10 meter gap on him.  I stayed steady for a few short time before making another hard push.  I heard him breathing hard and knew he wasn't giving in, likely trying to keep it close for a finishing kick.  I kept pressing for a minute longer before easing back as we neared the final turn.  That extra minute created enough of a gap for me to comfortably cruise into the finish without testing my higher gears (if they're even there during marathon training!).  It was a great battle, and has me looking forward to Paddy's!   

Splits:
5:13
5:20
5:13

Final: 15:58, good for 5th place. Good showing by CSUers all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment