Wednesday, April 12, 2017

2017 Doyle's Emerald Necklace 5 Miler Race Report

2017 is not getting off to the start I was hoping.

If not for Scott Mason taking some kick ass photos and managing to get my good side in each one, then this race would get a big fat 'meh.'  But he did get those photos, so I'll have to chalk this one up to 'not bad, I suppose.'

Looking strictly at the Garmin splits, my second mile was a major issue with this race.  I went from a 5:20 first mile to a 5:42 second mile.  I'm not sure what caused the slowdown; there was a bit of a headwind...but not that much.  In any case, I was still in good position at that point, and should've been able to compete better than I did.

That third mile after the turnaround, I was still doing well running with Pickleman and another guy from the Cambridge Running Club.  They started to pull away between 3.5 and 4.25, and I'm really disappointed with the way I responded.  It's hard to tell if I could have responded or I wish I could have responded.  But since I can't say for sure, I'll just be safe and remain disappointed.

The final mile I counted off the gap that had created, then made a hard surge, and counted again.  No change.  So I started to back off, since I had little or no chance to make up the gap.  In the end, I have another race coming up that perhaps I'll be better served by not going to the well.  We'll see.

Results
Pub Series Men's Standings
Pub Series Women's Standings



1 comment: