Thursday, May 12, 2016

Liam Maguire's Irish Pub Almost Five Miler 2016 Race Report

The previous weekend's 5k went well enough; essentially shaking off some rust from my post-marathon legs.  I didn't feel particularly spry heading into the second installment of the Pub Series, but I felt healthy and strong.  And so Elizabeth and I arrived in Falmouth for the Laim Maguire's Irish Pub Almost Five Miler ready to race.

I got in a nice long warm up and ran the course backwards to find a few benchmarks to use during the race if I happened to find myself in a tight race with a quarter or half mile to go.  This is a really simple idea, but I forgot to do it for Doyle's and I think it cost me a spot.

When the gun went off, I was pleased to see that it wasn't that crowded and there were familiar faces already up at the front as we made the first of many sharp turns to start the race.  As we turned on to Walker Street, things were already sorting themselves out.  David Wilson didn't have any competition for the race, and led wire to wire.  After exiting Beebe Acres neighborhood for the short loop during mile one, he had created a nice little cushion that he would comfortably maintain for the remainder of the race.

I found myself in a weird spot in the neighborhood feeling both good and bad.  I felt like I was moving too quick, but my lungs felt fine.  So, instead of fading to a point where my legs felt good, I threw in a little surge - hoping it would do something to wake my legs up.  We passed the first mile at around 5:22, and I found myself right with TJ Unger.  This would last for a short while longer before he pulled away with a GBTC runner.

I was running with Andrew Holmes and Lee Danforth for the second mile along Surf Drive and Mill Road, splitting 5:19, and I hid an odd rough spot during the third mile.  Probably around the 2.5m mark I really slowed and Danforth and Holmes put ~15 seconds on me.  I found myself in complete no man's land, but after passing the third mile marker with a 5:39 split, I was able to regain my composure and settle in.  I couldn't find the sub 5:30 pace, but I held steady at a much more even 5:37.

Turning back onto Surf Drive for the second time, I could see Danforth had gapped Holmes, but Holmes looked to be pressing.  He still had a big lead on me, but I felt strong and made a lot of short surges to close the gap.  I wanted to be within shouting distance by the end of the fourth mile, and after a 5:38 fourth mile, I found myself right on his heals.

As we turned on to Walker Street towards the finish, I sat on his heels for a moment to take inventory on how I felt.  Holmes was breathing heavy, and I he slowed quite a bit.  I assumed I would need to wait until a quarter mile to go, but those early miles took their toll on him and I was feeling very good.  I wish there were a bit more real estate, but Danforth was well ahead of me and there was no chance of catching him.  I surged past him with about a half mile to go.  Then with a quarter mile to go, I picked it up again and finished in 5th place in a time of 27:01.

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/16/ma/May1_LiamMa_set1.shtml

Scott Mason Photos
Jim Rhodes Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment