Monday, February 11, 2013

Triathlon Training Going Great! Oh wait...


...that, of course, is sarcasm. Well, if it were in fact triathlon training - it would be going great, but it's marathon training. So, not as good.

My workout routine for the past ~four weeks has been some variation of the following:
1.) Go straight to the gym after work.
2.) One hour bike ride
3.) Three sets of the Myrtl Routine
4.) Three sets of fifteen eccentric calf raises
5.) One hour in the pool - usually 50 minutes of pool running and 10 minutes of swimming
6.) Get home around 9:00.

I have also started going to Yoga on Fridays during my lunch break to work on flexibility, and I purchased some resistance bands to do some shin/ankle/foot strengthening as well.

All of this is all well and good, but it does not feel like marathon training. My effort level will vary on certain days, with Sunday usually being my most consistent effort - and the fact that I'll need a nap after that workout is a good sign that I'm getting in a quality workout. But, it doesn't have the same feel as a two hour run - I crave that feeling badly. The first two weeks of this routine had me in running withdrawal and it turned me into an ornery a-hole.

I don't have much a of a choice though - if it hurts to run, then I can't/shouldn't run. I'm hopeful that all of this will help maintain fitness, and avoid future injuries. But to say that I'm eager to put my feet to the pavement/trail/snow is an understatement. It's at the point where I'm looking outside at 30 inches of snow thinking that it'd be a nice evening for a run around the Charles...it really would be pretty nice though. I'm sure no one else is out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment