Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fall Marathon Maybe?

So if I'm going to run a fall marathon, I should be in the middle of some heavy mileage right now. And if I am in fact able - it will be the Cape Cod Marathon on October 28th.  That leaves me with about 11 weeks to continue training.

Shin splints and a busy summer schedule have limited my ability to pile on the miles, but I feel like I've made some progress as of late. Weekly mileage has been 33, 37, 40, 38 for the past four weeks, with five Ultimate games that don't have any mileage associated with them. I figure that's still a very good speed workout and I'm able to work some leg muscles that aren't strictly north/south - so it may not show up in the log, but it's still a productive day.

I've also self diagnosed the cause of my shin splints to weak glutes. My physiological version of connect the dots goes like this: weak glutes from sitting on my butt all day long cause my calves to work harder than necessary during my evening runs, which causes a lot of tightness in my calves which pulls on the tendons causing posterior tibial tendonitis. I could be wrong, but whatever - doing some additional single leg lunges won't hurt. Here's the past two weeks:

Scheduled
Mileage Actual
Day Date (min)   (max)   Description   Pace   Distance   Notes
Sunday 29-Jul         -          4.0 Recover/CT/LR 0:08:07 5 An easy recovery 5.
Monday 30-Jul       8.0     11.0 w/10 100m strides 0:08:17 10.03  Three Hill route during lunch. Additional miles with Raleigh. All miles done slow - my calves and shins are hurting. 
Tuesday 31-Jul         -          4.0 Easy Jog & Ultimate 0  Ultimate - when we were pulling I used that as an opportunity to basically do strides, and felt better than I have in a long time. Shins loosened up throughout the game as well. 
Wednesday 1-Aug       2.0        6.0 Moderate 0:07:25 10.27  2m at lunch w/Raleigh, 8+ after work at a 7:15 pace. Enjoyable in the downpour. 
Thursday 2-Aug     10.0     12.0 Medium Long Run 8  Fresh Pond race in 14:58 - new PR.  Warm up/cool down. 
Friday 3-Aug         -          6.0 Recovery 4 Brutal weather.
Saturday 4-Aug         -          5.0 Easy 3  Brutal weather again. 
Sunday 5-Aug     10.0     15.0 Long Run 0:07:40 11.4 5m in a.m., 6.4m in p.m.
Monday 6-Aug         -       10.0 Split Mileage 0:07:55 11.65 5.5m Three Hill route at lunch, 6.15m in p.m.
Tuesday 7-Aug       4.0        8.0 Intervals (No Ultimate) 10 800 (1000,600,400,200)x2 - Also ran during an easy 2m during lunch and had a good warm up/cool down. Found an extra gear in the last 200 that I haven't had in a while, which was surprising since my legs feel very beat up.
Wednesday 8-Aug       2.0        5.0 Recovery 5.12 2m at lunch, 3+ in the p.m.
Thursday 9-Aug         -          4.0 Easy Jog & Ultimate 0 Ultimate
Friday 10-Aug         -          6.0 Rest/Easy 0 Rest
Saturday 11-Aug         -          8.0 BUDA 0 4 Games - very good workout.


I'd say one or two more weeks and I'll make a final decision.

2 comments:

  1. Lol great diagnostics Dr. Bugbee. You know i have noticed when i do a lot more stretching on my shins the less it hurts. Also the rolling sticks help too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't call me a doctor...the two people that read this blog may believe it to be true, and I can't have that type of liability hanging over my head.

    ReplyDelete