Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week #6

Last week I was dealing with a mild case of shin splints and some lingering soreness in my left knee.  I was able to train through both without causing the symptoms to worsen, and neither have been an issue for a few days now.

Instead now the pain has traveled further down the leg...I noticed some tightness in my Achilles after the run Saturday, and that will be something I need to monitor this week.

Aches and pains are normal, in my opinion, and so far I've been fortunate to have manageable maladies.  That being said, I was recently forwarded the following article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/why-runners-get-injured/

Interesting stuff.  On to the training:

Scheduled
Mileage Actual
Day Date (min) (max) Description Pace Distance Notes
Sunday 5-Feb         -          3.0 Or cross training/soccer 0.00  Rest. 
Monday 6-Feb     10.0     10.0 Split Mileage in AM and PM - Recovery 10.06  Same as last Monday - just under 4m in the morning, the rest after work.  Achilles has a distinct pinch…something to keep an eye on. 
Tuesday 7-Feb     11.0     15.0 Medium Long Run 0:07:15 11.07  An easy 2 miles to warm up, then 7 a a 6:51 pace, and finished it off with Raleigh the dog. 
Wednesday 8-Feb         -          5.0 Recovery 0:08:35 1.26  An easy jog to Trader Joe's - Achilles feeling pretty tight. 
Thursday 9-Feb       3.0        8.0 Speedwork 8.55  800/400 x 4, 200 x 3 - much quicker rest lap between each interval than usual.  
Friday 10-Feb       4.0        7.0 w/6 100m strides 0:07:43 10.37  Achilles is still feeling uncomfortable, so I'm going to try and increase the mileage today and run a little less tomorrow to lessen the pounding. 
Saturday 11-Feb     18.0     22.0 Long Run 0:08:38 4.08  Achilles would not warm up, scrapped the run. 

Thursday night splits: 2:57, 1:22, 2:51, 1:23, 2:57, 1:22, 2:59, 1:23, 0:36, 0:37, 0:34 - felt pretty good throughout.  Decided to do the workouts on my own separate from the group so I didn't get caught up trying to keep up with anyone else, and I also wanted to shorten the recovery time between each interval.  Overall it was a very satisfying workout.

Saturday:  This portion of the schedule was originally 15m with 12m at mp, but I changed the mileage so that I could do a long run this weekend, and the fast run would be the Hyannis Half in two weeks…didn't matter anyways - my achilles would not warm up.

I have mixed feelings on how this week went.  I'm obviously not happy to have had to scrap the long run on Saturday, but the workouts on Tuesday and Thursday went really well.  Whatever.  A total of 45.39 miles for the week

No comments:

Post a Comment