Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Lone Gull 10k - 2016 Race Report

Even though I maintained high mileage coming into the Lone Gull 10k, I arrived in Gloucester with high expectations.  I had taken the previous four days easy, with only one very moderate workout (a 2 mile tempo with Terry to get the legs primed).

With Raleigh in the back, Elizabeth and I made our way to Good Harbor Beach.  As has been the case in years past, there was a backup entering the parking lot - so I hopped out to jog in and get my long warm up started.  After grabbing my number, I bumped into Kevin, Terry, Tom & Kristi and we well all did a nice ~2m warm up together before going our separate ways.

Lining up, I didn't feel especially good or bad.  I would've preferred a longer warm up, but the tight calves and plantar issue weren't even remote concerns.  So, with the weather seemingly perfect, my pre-race goals remained in tact.  When the gun went off, I had to shuffle slowly across the timing mat and squeeze in tight to make sure my chip was registered, then I darted out of the crowd into some open space.  Normally, I'm fairly conscious of running tangents, but it was extra crowded and I had a few spots where I was close to being tripped up - so I took whatever real estate was given to me.  About three quarters of a mile in, the crowded field begun to string out and I found myself searching for and finding a good rhythm.  I passed the mile marker in about 5:23, and felt comfortable (note, this is my garmin split, which was off from the mile markers by varying distances).

I was a short distance back from a pack of ten or so runners, and during the start of the second mile I closed the gap and, knowing that winds would be a concern, hoped this group would stick together.  Unfortunately, I could feel the pace slow as we hit the first of many mild inclines.  I noticed everyone laboring on the uphill, and I squeezed to the left of the road and moved from the back of the pack to the front.  I thought maybe I would drag the group with me, but once I got the pace back down it ended up dropping everyone in that group.  The result of the semi-slow-down was a 5:32 second mile.

The third mile is a gentle downhill and I was still feeling comfortable.  I didn't have anyone to run with, so I started aiming for people.  I think this is the point in the race where my strength from a long summer of base building started to come through.  Feeling good, I knew that if I surged here and there, I would be able to recover and be in a good spot.  I clicked off a 5:19 third mile and 5:29 fourth mile before entering the final stretch along the shore.

Entering that final stretch of pavement along the shoreline, the head winds were tough, but expected.  I continued to pass runners here and there, and expected that to continue for the remainder of the race, until I heard footsteps getting a little closer.  I had passed the lead woman, and knowing there was a $300 bonus to any women breaking 34 minutes, I expected to see her hanging on my heals.  Instead it was a runner that must have similarly been working his way up the field.  We passed a few runners together and he remained on my heals.

I was actually pleased to see him there, as I had worked through a rough patch during the fourth mile, and this shook me out of it.  I had good turnover and was maintaining pace, and he stuck to my shoulder and continued drafting.  I passed the fifth mile in 5:26 and continued to cruise.  There was a fairly long stretch of a gradual incline that I really started to work, and tried to drop the guy, but he again he stayed right on my shoulder.  Nearing the base of the final incline before the finish, I thought to myself that this guy had gotten the benefit of drafting off of me for the last two miles, and I wasn't inclined to lose to him on the final straight.  I could hear his breathing and knew he wasn't in cruise control, but I moved to the side and slowed slightly letting him move ahead of me.  The tiny slow down allowed me to check his form, and I also felt like it allowed me to recover quite a bit (moreso than expected).  I moved up beside him as we crested the short steep hill, and opened it up slightly on the downhill.  There was still a bit of real estate left and I didn't want to kick too soon, so I tightened the screws only just a little bit.  There was a WMDP running who had seemed slightly out of reach, but the gap was quickly closing, and when I finally started my kick neither runner had much of a response.

I ended up crossing the line in 58th place in 34:09, which is both my highest placing in a Grand Prix race and a big PR.  I have a better time in me, but I'm pleased with the effort and the result.

Scott Mason Photos
Ted Tyler Photos
Results

2 comments: